Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.
- John McCrae

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely. We shall never forget!

I'm just getting ready to call my dad. It is always such an emotional day for him.

Sigh,

Lily

Anonymous said...

Ps, love the photo, it is you isn't it....

MarieA said...

alas....must give credit to the CBC - I "Borrowed" the photo from their site.

I am pleased to see that a city/r provincial by law means all stores are closed today until 12:30 PM. It's about time And a pox on the car dealers who tried to fight this. Shame on them!
M

Anonymous said...

Yup, car dealers and the guy I work for....

I went outside just before 11 a.m. and stood on my own, while he discussed soccor or however you spell the stupid sport.....needless to say I've been in a mood all morning!

Lily

Anonymous said...

wonderful poem.

Nice picture. I haven't seen poppy drives in AK. Not sure what that is about since there is a huge military presence, in fact, the military opened Alaska (so to speak)

~R

MarieA said...

Every year after the National Remembrance Day Ceremony at the National War Memorial people leave their poppies on the tomb of the unknown soldier. It's quite a poignant moment and this photo captures that scene. I really like it.
The poet of Flanders Fields was a Canadian I believe. This poem is learned by every kid in elementary school.