Monday, November 17, 2008

Really???


I am going to have to figure out a way to insist that the SU take co-parenting classes or counseling once the separation deed has been done. Yet again, Rebel Junior - and she is becoming *quite* the Mini-Me - has her father so wrapped around her finger that he is in complete denial.

He has started using the same mantra as his older brother does around his daughter - "They're teen agers! What do you expect?"
I expect when I say please call at 11 PM so we can pick you up that she'll call.
I expect when I call on her cell phone - the one I pay for - that she'll pick up - the first time!
I expect respectful conversations when we talk -

And the response I get when none of the above happens is - "stop putting 'the hammer' to her - she's a teen ager - they all act like that!"

Really?

When I learned that she'd been drinking alcohol at the party she was at and that she came home drunk - SU 's response was "she's a teen ager - they ALL drink at that age."
Really?

Age 15 and they ALL drink? I think not. Rebel Junior is already out-rebelling the Rebel! She didn't touch alcohol til she was 17 at least. My American friends need to understand that legal drinking age is either 18 or 19 depending where one lives. Not 21.

"So you don't think it's a problem that she is drinking?"
"Well the parents were home at the house she was at. I don't see what I can do about it now."

Really?
That's the best he's got.


He also told me I put down 'the hammer' - whatever that means - when I told RJ when we finally spoke at midnight that no she could not sleep over at her friend's house as this was not planned in advance and I didn't appreciate the last minute request, nor, more importantly, did I appreciate her being rude to me over the phone as I asked her to please get the address of the house she was at so her father could pick her up.

She hung up on me.

I called and woke up another parent, got the phone number, did a reverse search and got an address. I called the house and told the mother to please keep RJ at the house and to please tell her that her father was coming to get her. She left the house and went to another friend's and the SU had to go find her there. She is lucky he went to get her and not me.

Oh... she's "just a teenager" who has her dad jumping through hoops even better than her sister ever could.

Born-again Father
or
just plain jackassery?

3 comments:

Calories and Coffee said...

Sigh. And here I was thinking Dmitri's 12 year old attitude was bad.

I wish you luck!

Anonymous said...

spewing the wine! funny Alex... that's the problem... too many boys grow up to be men!

It's an awesome responsiblity to be the mom to boys... You'll get it right I think!
Marie

Anonymous said...

Major jackassery!

I consider myself blessed that I didn't have that to deal with.

I will have to say in my own case, I had always planned to spend the night (drinking age at that time in WI was 18) and friend's mom said she didn't mind getting us a bottle of wine or six pack of beer since we stayed there and she could keep an eye on us and keep us out of trouble. She made sure we weren't another teenage statistic for the highway patrol. I think my Dad knew what was going on.

I think I was Rebel's age when this was happening, senior year in HS.

He needs to be more concerned than he lets on. Yeah, even with rules it will happen a bit ( I am proof of that I guess ) but it keeps from getting out of hand.

~R