Monday, February 02, 2009

Writing a Cheque isn't a Green Light.

I was out of town over the weekend and Rebel Junior was home most of the weekend with a 10 page booklet to complete as part of her request to be an exchange student in France for 3 months next year.
The questions are a bit troublesome for now given we haven't dealt with the final details of the separation and also... RJ's attitude and things that need to be improved any way.

Things like - tell us about your routine at home;
  • Chores you're expected to do, responsibilities around home.
  • What does your family do together?
  • What are some of the activities you'd like to plan with your student during the exchange visit.
  • Send photos of where your exchange student will be living.
  • How do you get to school?
  • What do you do when you're not in school?
LOTS of that kind of detail because they want good matches for the kids to ensure everyone has a great time AND gets along really well.

There are a number of issues around the RJ herself that need attending to, never mind the stuff around where the kid will sleep. I've told SU that her going to France is NOT a done deal in my book. She does have this sense of entitlement that I do not like and have had trouble countering for some time. She NEVER does any chore and lacks responsibility with regards to everything. It doesn't make me happy. And I don't particularly want to bring a strange kid into this kind of environment. It would be so wrong and unfair.

On the other hand this is a really great, relatively affordable way to spend time in another country. I never would have thought that RJ would be the one to want to do this kind of thing. It would be good for her.

She does seem to believe though that if her father signs the cheques she's good to go. I've told her and him that ain't the way it's going to work. I expect and need an attitude shift and a change in how things work before I have a student living with me and before I send her to live elsewhere too. I have no problem putting the breaks on this if I don't see a child who is a little more grateful and a little less hateful. She needs to make changes and her father needs to know that writing a cheque isn't a green light.

Yet one more thing to deal with on the separation road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She absolutely should have to prove to you that she is deserving of this exchange. She has the time. Hopefully she will put in the work. Family counseling {which I believe you have indeed mentioned} could go a long way in helping her refocus and adjust her current attitude.

~ b

Lily on the Road said...

Okay, it's me, the shizzzzt mixer....

If she wants to go, she can start to pitch in 'cause she will have to in France. (she may be treated like a maid over there)

SU will have moved out by then RIGHT!!???, If SU signs the cheque, he can deal with the exchange student. They can stay with him....they don't have to stay with you. If they mix this cocktail, they get to deal with it.

This may be the wake up call RJ needs, get out of the enabling relationship at home and get out on her own, and yes, she IS old enough.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Lily

MarieA said...

nothing I haven't thought of either Lily...
no surprises...
I have to think of the foreign kid too. Don't want to throw the victim into a stupid situation. Just not fair to any kid. That's what concerns me.

I will deal with it.