Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Note


The former friend sent me a note today. Somehow I knew that the next time I would hear from him it would be because of one of two things: an announcement to tell me was getting married - natural progression given he's living with his pet sitter, or that one of his pets, his beloved dog had died. And oddly, I had been having weird vibes this week.... it's kinda creepy how these things work.


Sure enough, the dog died this past week, and he was compelled to tell me because of a gift I had given him. A friend of mine, Aleks, AKA, StalkstheDawn, painted a portrait of his dog. I knew this day would come. The dog, a German Shepherd was pretty old and had had a tough time last winter. I knew he wouldn't get through this winter. I also know how much former friend, AKA, FF absolutely LOVED this animal. This dog was treated better than many small children. This dog was his best friend. And I knew he would be upset and sad so I had the painting commissioned by a very talented virtual friend. I've seen her work. She is exceptionally gifted as an artist. I was lucky to have her do this for me. She captured his beauty. And hence an email telling me he appreciates the gift all the more now because the dog has gone.

I have debated about sending him a note, and decided a very short "I'm sorry" will have to suffice. I loved that dog probably more than I ever liked him. The dog was special no doubt about it. I've never known a pet quite like this dog. And so... a short email will be sent... not today... but soon, telling him, that I too, am sorry for the loss of his dear pet.

The dog was a wonderful companion, and won't be easily replaced. If the painting brings the FF any kind of comfort now... so be it. He , the FF, finally realizes the intent behind my actions (even though I have second guessed myself on this action more than once over the months!)

This is a first for him.

But I won't be re-starting any kind of friendship regardless of his "getting it" or his loss.

No comments: