Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thirteen things (and a little more) in a Christmas Fruitcake


This makes a 16 pound cake! I have revised the quantities. I expect
no more than a four pound cake! Maybe a little more!

In combing the variations, I chose a combination of Grandma's wedding
cake recipe and mom's 1985 cake which appears to be the classic edition!
Notes from Uncle Don, moms brother - another fruitcake afficionado also
helped!

1. Butter
2. Brown Sugar
3. Flour
4. Eggs
5. Grape jelly ( who knew!)
6. Baking soda and salt
7. Cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg
8. Sultana raisins, currants and dates
9. Mixed candied citrus peel
10. Candied cherries, red and/or green
11. Nuts - walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts
12. Brandy
13. Lamb's Navy Rum... LOTS of it!

Soak the fruit, soak the finished cake. Infuse with alcohol. Send me
your address if you like, you'll receive a little package a week before
Christmas. I promise.

Next up Mom's secret Nuts & Bolts snack
and
more anti pasto!


Counselling this evening. Shall see what grilling I get over the
spouse's fury on the renos, and the girls' finding of the blog! One hour
won't be near enough!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom always makes fruitcake during the holidays. We don't care for it. NOW I see the problem. There is NO BOOZE in Mom's fruitcake! I don't see her changing that any time soon. Sigh!

I too am interested in what your C has to say about the spouse/renos and the girls/blog.

oh yeah, you have my addy. I want cake!
I need cake!

*hugs*
skupper

Anonymous said...

LOL!! will do Skup... gee.. the one who bakes WELL wants my experimenal fruit cake! :-)

Thanks... for the logo for the writing month. I still don't know who to kill!

Marie