Saturday, September 15, 2007

Observations.


The docs were all nervous because Rebel "just fell" down... We now believe the weight of school books, a purse with junk in it that weighs a ton, plus a belly full of fluid combined with low blood pressure meant weak legs and ka-bam! Down she went. The docs were all worried that she had passed out. She hadn't. And it took a ton of convincing anyway. BUT the docs felt she should be under 48 hour observation so back into the hospital she went. This time she is at Heart Institute itself. A private room a decent telephone and your typical hospital tv. Her blood work - all normal. Electrolytes... ok... her cholesterol... a tad high.

The good thing in all of this, is because she is now inside rather than out... we are hoping that her cardiologist will order up the tests have the fluid drained while she is in. It would help.


A couple of things I heard today. A new guy on our board from out west - has a 24 yr old nephew diagnosed with cardiomyopathy at age 14. They figure he probably had it from about age 9. He was on a heart transplant list... He has recovered to 40% heart function which is very good. Most hearts function at 50%. Today he is an emergency med technician - works a full day. Can't ever play ice hockey again, but he does play ball hockey. He has an internal defibrillator that helps regulate his heart beat and takes meds every day... and is doing very very well.

We met a young woman on Rebel's floor today. She had a baby four months ago. Her docs thought she had postpartum depression, anxiety, viral pneumonia etc etc. Turns out her heart function was less than 10%. Today, she is on a heart transplant list. She is starting the road to recovery. Her mom and her husband are taking care of her new baby. Now the docs figure that she *might* have had pneumonia, but that some how she had post partum induced cardiomyopathy. She is 31 years old. She and Rebel are now bonding as they are the two youngest on the ward.

Interestingly the nurses are telling us they are seeing more and more of this kind of heart disease as a result of viruses. Weird eh?

I came home tonight and saw a huge carton of ramen type noodles sitting on the kitchen table. You don't have to be a heart disease patient to know that the nutritional value of this crap is a big fat ZERO and that ramen noodles with powdered flavour is nothing more than cheap noodles with salty flavoured water. Sodium in these things is through the roof. I asked the SU "WTF? WHY would you buy that shit?" He gave me some song and dance story about the price and blah blah.
"But it's crap" I said,, "and you know this. We all need to support Rebel as a family and do what we can to eat well, and better and just not have this stuff in the house. There is no need for it. "
I tell you... All I heard back, was "I eat better than all you. I'm the one who eats the fruit, I'm the one who doesn't eat any junk food. You have nerve, telling me what to eat." I roll my eyes... "Here's the thing" I told him. "it's NOT about YOU!. If you bring crap into the house, it's in temptation's way. We don't need this stuff in the house. Please do NOT buy it anymore. If it's not here. No one misses it. Do you get what I mean?"
And typically.... the SU walked away from me muttering.
It's always about him. WhatEvEr.

I am enjoying a pinot grigio, taking a book to bed and having a relaxing evening. Let the SU mutter away and believe me to be the bitch he's trying to make me out to be. It's HIS problem not mine.

I took the 12 pack of ramen noodles and threw them out!

4 comments:

Rudy said...

I hope they do drain the fluid while she is in there and she gets her other tests moved up. What the heck, as long as she is there right?

The news from the young man that recovered is very encouraging! That has to make you feel hopeful.

If SU is really such a good eater why would he have even looked at that crap? I have to say my kids liked them for a snack but never used the seasoning packet because it was way too salty.

*hugs and prayers*

Calories and Coffee said...

He is such an asshole. We need to come up with a better than the RAMB name for him.

Hope the kid is home soon :)

Anonymous said...

how about SUPER RAMB!?
m

Anonymous said...

How is our girl today?

*hugs to you all*

~ blondie