Monday, October 15, 2007

In Abeyance.


We had a pretty quiet weekend. Not a lot went on at the hospital given it was the weekend. I expect things will gear up this week. The defibrillator residents came in to see Rebel again. She does NOT like these two guys who seem to come together joined at the hip. Her own cardiologist told Rebel to tell the arrhythmia the head doc - that she didn't like his residents. When the residents asked her why she changed her mind about having the defib inserted she told them point blank that her own doctor did a much better job of explaining what it was and why she needed it and frankly she was choosing to talk ONLY to the guy who knew what he was talking about please and thank you! When she was telling me she said there was a nurse in the room who had to keep from laughing out loud. Apparently, these guys are not used to patients telling them that their manner is less than stellar with patients, particularly young patients who do not have patience themselves in processing all this information she's being given.

Her cardiologist, the head of transplants and heart failure for the Institute happened to be in to see Rebel as a nurse was trying to take blood. She was having a hard time, so Rebel challenged her doc to do it. It was pretty funny because, the guy might do heart transplants, he might hold beating hearts in his hands, but taking blood.... he was nervous! He gamely decided to go for it when Rebel told him he should do it! Rebel has tricky thin veins and after a stay at the hospital, her arms always look like she has heroin tracks. So Doctor Director - Respected-Cardiologist snapped on the gloves, got the butterfly needle and as Rebel was watching him, he kind of snapped "don't look at me while I do this please!" Nervous guy! However, he managed to keep his dignity intact and got the needle into the vein on his first try. This little story had the nurses in stitches for the rest of the evening and most of the weekend! He walked out of her room with a cute little smile on his face.

On the spousal ennuie front. I received a letter from the She-Barracuda telling me my file was "in abeyance" until mediation was settled. I had to roll my eyes. We send emails back and forth when we need to talk and all my files are electronic which is good. Then she hit me with this formal pdf file. Abeyance is defined as "temporarily suspended action.".. so why not just say... "I'll put your file on hold til the mediation thing works out." Lawyers... why use a simple word when four four syllable words can be thrown in instead.

As for that I am "in abeyance" myself until Rebel is a little more stabilized. AS IF I have any desire to mediate while the kid is sitting in a hospital bed.

How the SU is dealing and processing all this - I really don't know. He continues to hide in his space, and as far as I aware, not talk to anyone. How sad really.

And for all who ask, I really am okay. I seem to have put on some thigh weight... according to the tightness of the winter suits I've started wearing... so to help the stress and the thighs, I am back to walking the treadmill and riding the bike to nowhere at the gym. While a planned short vacay has had to be put "in abeyance" my dear friends have been ensuring I either: get out and drink, stay in and drink, or find other worthy pursuits to keep my sanity and health. And I love them all.

5 comments:

Calories and Coffee said...

You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

Rudy said...

of course barracudas use large words. It conveys the fact that they went to college and know things. It justifies the huge sums of money they charge.

I love the spunky attitude that Rebel has. The two residents sounded like they were long over due for a lesson in who they really work for. I am glad the staff got so much enjoyment from it. They will be appreciatively attentive to Reb all the more because of it.

Gah - weight battles. I sympathize with you there. I am still working on the weight I gained from meds. Try to stay away from that grief diet. it is not fun.

*hugs and prayers*

Anonymous said...

I love that girl and her attitude. Hug her for me and ask her to give you a hug from me.

love yas,
~ blondie

Annie said...

I love her responses to everyone today, especially the hot shot cardiologist. Hugs from me as well for her--and you.

Calories and Coffee said...

Tree,

Can I have her real name to put on the church prayer list? I don't want to put "Rebel" lol.