Monday, October 01, 2007

Monday Musing


A pretty quiet weekend this weekend. I have to assume that SU signed off the mortgage documents. I haven't heard from the bank yet and figure he doesn't want to go into arrears and ruin his credit rating so his Shark should have counselled him to sign off and shut up.

I told my She-Barracuda that all arrangements for meetings with the mediator can be set up by the SU. He can organize by giving me date and time options for this thing to get started. I don't need to be organizing him for this little party. I have enough to do in my life.

SU took Tweeny shopping for clothes... again. Rebel is feeling very slighted. And hurt. SU has been paying her phone bill and VISA debt so I guess he feels that's enough. It's not even a start.

I am thinking as part of the mediation exercise I am going to try and insist on family counselling to deal with these things. Even Rebel's boyfriend is noticing the division within the family. He says it looks like RT and SU are pitted against me and Rebel. I don't like this, and I am doing what I can, but SU doesn't seem to care that he is driving a wedge between his daughters or demonstrating his contemptuous attitude towards me and it's filtering to the RT. It's not good. He will HATE the idea of counselling and won't want to go, but this is NOT about him. It's about the girls and their need to understand their role in the family and our role as their parents. SU could use a little of this as well.

I attend a big to-do church function yesterday. Because of my role on Parish Council, I was seated with the all the big cheese priests. I met the new guy in town who is taking on a bunch of roles - one in particular with the Canon Law Tribunal. He is the lead for the marriage tribunal and is the go-to guy for those seeking annulments post divorce. I told him my situation and explained that I would probably be interested in an annulment post divorce. NOT that I think I would ever want to get married again ( rolls eyes) but really... the annulment would close the door for me and brings things to a natural conclusion.
This priest was good. He knows the rules etc, and frankly it doesn't hurt to have one of these guys in your court when going for the final event. He told me they like to wait at least a year post divorce being starting the paperwork on annulments. I have several friends who've been through this and it's a pretty intense process. These guys don't cut a lot of slack and it's not a rubber stamping process by any means.

I have to take Rebel to the dentist today to get her chipped tooth fixed. She has to take a whack of antibiotics as a preventative measure against infection before any dental work. AS per the instructions of her cardiologist. MORE drugs! But she doesn't care. She says she's tired of looking like a trailer trash blonde!

Tuesday, we head to the Heart Institute for a heart ultrasound to see how she is progressing.

I have Friday off this week as we are heading into the Thanksgiving weekend already. Turkey time.

5 comments:

Rudy said...

I think you will have more success with the counseling if you keep SU focused on the kids' needs and don't mention his parenting at all.

A lady that used to work in my parish office is now in the chancery and involved with tribunals. I speak to her off and on. I have started the paperwork and have most of it done (not wanting to relive certain episodes of infidelity) but now she tells me it is mostly an interview process in our archdiocese.

Sometimes I think it would be so much better for the X to say, I didn't really want to get married as opposed to me filing and then trying to come up with examples of that behaviour. Meh.

Time to just bite the bullet.

Good luck with yours M.

Síocháin

Anonymous said...

good point Rudy... on the counselling bit. I believe you're probably quite right.

I hear that a lot on the annulment thing.. the interview process is the big one. A friend of mine was denied her annulment in the end.. her EX died of some bizarre cancer before the process was finished.
The tribunal came back with "you're better off being a widow than a divorcee. You don't need the annulment now." So these guys can be tough. I still have some time to go though..
thanks for the support
m

Rudy said...

I will keep you posted on mine if you would like.

Anonymous said...

yeah... I would like... different jurisdictions and roman vs eastern, but the experiences will be good to know and probably helpful down the road. thanks Rudy.
m

Anonymous said...

annulment thing...Antonym to marriage

Even with my very short marriage, I opted for divorce...it is done, it is over with and less time consuming...albeit, I would have preferred to be the young (at the time) widow instead of the young divorcee.....ahhh, it all costs money....:-)

Try to have a very Happy Thanksgiving....I'm hoping that you'll put down the drumsticks as weapons and enjoy this most festive season....

gobble, gobble,
Lily