Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Rash of Troubles.

I didn't get to the hospital til nearly 4 PM today and Rebel was complaining that she was itchy. She thought she had a rash... I took a look and she was actually broken out in hives all over her legs, some on her arms neck and face too. Pretty seriously too. HUGE things.

The doctor came in... Resident on duty... and they gave her a shot of Benadryl... intravenously through the pick line. The dose was a hefty one and caused Rebel to get a tad woozy, which she didn't like at all.

None of us could figure out what would cause it. No new foods, cremes or lotions, soaps - nothing new at all. Though sometimes meds can cause the break out.

Her nurse took her temperature and she was border line starting a fever, so there was a concern about infection somewhere... either at the VAD site where it goes into her body or at the pick line They started antibiotics right away to fend off any possible infection. They also had to take blood to check for infections and it had to be on her arm rather than through the pick line which was not pleasant with Rebel’s tricky veins. Took two nurses to get things done there.

At this point she was also shivering uncontrollably. But her VAD and *the numbers* were good... so that wasn't a problem. Getting her to stop shivering took a whack of blankets and me and the BFF trying to hug her and keep her warm.

Between tylenol and anti-biotics, and turning up the temperature in the room, we got her warmed up again, and she was starting to feel better. The Benadryl worked on the hives almost instantaneously as well.

Once I could see Rebel was okay, and the SU arrived to take over after I called him - along with the BFF and the BF, I had to leave to pick RebelTweeny up and head home. By the time SU came home he said Rebel was doing much better and was pretty sleepy. He didn't stay too long. He rarely does. I don't know why... if it's because the BF is there or if he just can't sit still in a chair there.

We've had a phone call from the SU's father. Mom in-law has been living with congestive heart failure for quite a few years now; she's also diabetic and has numerous gastro problems. She is in her mid 80s if not closer to 90. She doesn't do well following her health rules - food pills etc. She's not been doing well lately. Father in-law said something on Saturday about getting mom in-law to the hospital to get her looked after as she wasn't eating and getting very weak. SU hasn't called his father or his sister to get updates. This will be a very tough time for him. He has no faith to fall back on and I am not sure how good of a support he will be when he has to head home. I am waiting for the dreaded phone call from that family. Sister in-law and I do chat however and the nephews are my facebook friends. So I can ask covertly about what's going on. But I can't do more than that for now.

When I called to check in with Rebel 's nurse at the hospital a few minutes ago, she told me Reb was sleeping and she’ll be checking her temperature every hour and giving her tylenol if they see it creeping up again.

Yet another mystery. The nurses say the hives can happen. In the words once again of Rosanne Rosannadanna... "It’s always something!"

The girl needs to catch a break or two.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh M, I'm so sorry to hear that the Rebel is yet again going through "something", it was weird, my spidey senses yesterday were tinkling and I kept saying "please don't let it be something serious, please..."

Keep me posted, hugs, prayers and healthy vibes for our Rebel girl...

STOP worrying about the SU, whatever his reaction will be, will be.

Lily

Calories and Coffee said...

Poor kid :(

I hope they get this figured out quickly.

Anonymous said...

OMG Cuz...u just can't seem to catch a break! Woo Hoo stuff coming your way. I have a 'group' tonight so we'll put everyone to work.
Keep us all posted

Love (((hugs))) and many prayers
Cuz A

Rudy said...

poor Rebel. I am glad they got the hives cleared up right away and hopefully they don't come back.

I am not surprised that SU treats his family any differently than his kids. Head in the sand for everything it seems.

I hope Rebel had a better night.

{hugs} and +prayers+