Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Talking on Tuesday

(a new feature on the Spousal Ennuie Blog, perhaps?)

Interesting about the SU. I have figured it out. He doesn't make meals. He cooks food. And then either eats it himself or puts it away. So if I'm not home, and the RT says she's not hungry, he believes her and eats standing over the sink and she eats breakfast cereal instead. I'll walk in the door, tell her I am making a meal, put plates on the table with food on them..l and she sits and eats everything and more!

We had a number of very nice people send meals over to us during the last few months - particularly at the beginning when I was too distraught to do more than open the fridge and look. The SU didn't eat a single meal sent over by friends... except for the night I saw him sitting in front of the tv eating a turkey leg. ( One friend sent over an entire turkey dinner - roast turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots and squash, and gravy) He would eat nothing. Not the Indian curry, not the lasagna (made by a teacher at his school even) not any thing. He preferred to cook his own meat rather than nuke a ready made delicious dinner! There is something psychologically weird there. What is that about? Seriously.

Back at work I am asked a lot of questions about our Rebel, One of my favourite clients, an IT geek of the hard core variety, had this to say after I explained Rebel's ventricular assist device and how she was attached to a computer and drive lines and a suitcase in order to be mobile. "Gads, I hope the thing isn't running on Microsoft!" ACK!

So far I've been told that Rebel's docs have seen four offers of a donor... none of which they have found to be exactly right for my girl. God bless the families and the donors. This has been somewhat reassuring for Rebel as she knows she's "in the system."

This working nearly full time and visiting at the hospital is a bit of a challenge. I've decided to let the work go a little more. I have the okay of the lads who call themselves *managers.*

I really have to watch my Diner's Dash obsession. The little Nintendo DS is giving me RSI... and my keyboard at work is suffering... I arrive at the hospital and demand the NDS and barely speak during my *visit* with Rebel. She rolls her eyes as she surfs the Internet or watches a movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take GREAT CARE of yourself....as much as you want to do the Wonder Woman stuff, we know where your heart is, and yes it was a bad choice of words, but you need to look after yourself first and then you can take care of all of the others.

As for the SU, don't even waste any more time trying to figure him out....it is just too draining...gah!

With Rebel truly being in the system now, you know they will do the very best match possible. Save your energy for that! Don't worry about work....if they want to reach you they can reach you, but you don't need to be shelping in every day.

I can hardly wait to catch up with you, and I'm so glad that soooo many people have your best interest at heart, (there goes that word again)....at least you're receiving home made food, that's awesome!!

Much love and hugs,
Lily

Rudy said...

I agree very strongly with Lily. You have to take care of yourself in all of this. I learned the hard way that if you aren't taking care of yourself you really don't have much to offer to others. Was able to repair things but that is a story for an email perhaps.

And don't figure out anything about SU except how to get him out of the house. Because of custody you will still have to deal with him but at least in your home you can set up a stable environment without him undermining you every time you turn around. Remember how peaceful it was with him on vacay?

I pray for donors and their families every day too. Something will come along.

{{hugs}} and ++prayers++