Tuesday, May 27, 2008

They will KEEL you!

I have a lovely next door neighbour. A Haitian French speaking very devoutly Catholic woman and her family. Her son, mostly a quiet young man - very creative, doesn't drive or party much from what I have learned. And her daughter - another version of Rebel - took off after college headed to the wilds and rural parts of New Brunswick - took up with a "whiteboy" got pregnant - had a baby and lives far from home out of wedlock. Haitian mama is not happy with her youngest offspring. She is also a nurse and has been keeping tabs as well as saying the Rosary for our Rebel.

A few days ago she came over and we chatted about our kids. By now I had told her how Rebel has been mostly having "sleep overs" at the BF's place - where he lives with his mother and her significant other. We usually speak French together but once I get going I can't rant in French the way I can in English or Ukrainian so we end up in "franglais" mode. And what she said to me about our kids in her heavy Haitian French accented English: - " KEEDS! Marrrrrie - dees keeds. Dey gonna KEEL us! yes dey arrrre! So you what I do Marrrrrie? I say... pray pray pray and den just geeve it a rest. You and me? We don't want dees keeds to keel us. So.. we breathe and we pray and we LEAVE DEM ALONE to do what they want since they don't wanna LEESEN! "

"You HAVE TO look after yourself," Haitian Mama continued, "because deee keeds of ours - they gonna need us ALORS they gonna need us and we have to be strong."

Point well taken. I seem to still be going through some kind of after shock and stress reduction. Based on Haitian Mama's words, I do indeed have to look after myself. It seems I have a breast infection. WTF?!? An abscess similar to what I had when breast feeding oh those 20 years ago! Let me tell you I first felt that little hard mass in the there and I just about jumped out of my skin and thought " no, this can't be happening. NO WAY!" I called my doctor's office first thing this morning and was in there by 10:30 AM. I have the anti biotics and need to drain this thing (not pleasant at all.) She is right on top of it and already I feel better. But indeed... I have to keep taking care of myself. And dang! I have a lunch date and two dinner dates this week and because of anti biotics... have to be off alcohol. If it doesn't KEEL me - it WILL make me stronger. I think I have enough strength now thank you very much!

3 comments:

Rudy said...

ahhh mawwwwrrriiieee, you gots to look afta yoursef.

Yanno, yuo can collect the credits and after the antibiotics have cleaned up the infection you can use them all at once LOL

Take care.

Lily on the Road said...

Oh M,

Take care, Hope that all you can do is be a mom, not a keeper.

Hope that nothing happens to the Rebel in the preggers department....gah,

Is she covered while in le Belle Provence? Maybe an update for her accountablility is in order??? Just asking....I'm home this week, dad arrives tomorrow, yikes, call me.....

Lily

MarieA said...

I am looking I am looking and Rudy! Indeed will save up the credits
Off to put hot compresses on the infection site! sigh!

M