Saturday, August 02, 2008

A few random thoughts today.


Took the day off work Friday to get into long weekend mode early. Monday is a holiday - though it is getting away from us. The holiday used to mean EVERYTHING was closed up tight. Now the poor folks in retail have to work. It's just wrong in the summer. We can live without groceries and stores being open for a day. Let every one who can enjoy a long weekend in the short summer time! Seriously!

Took Rebel's dog to the vet to get him checked out. The vet thinks he's between 5-10 years old. And Rudy - you called it. His teeth are a horrible mess. That could be the killer for us to have these cleaned, pulled and taken care of. BIG BUCKS! He also needs to be neutered but at his age, it will cost us. And how ironic - the Rebel's dog has a heart murmur! The vet started to explain about enlarged hearts and Rebel started to laugh - and said "ya know Doc- I got this one " and told him her story. The vet said his temperament is good but he has most definitely been neglected, and beaten by the way he initially behaved when we arrived. We took the little guy to PetSmart and he has a grooming appointment next week, a new leash and I am now $175.00 poorer and in over draft at the bank after that little mission.

RJ has gone into hurricane mode and my kitchen has the look of a Type 4 weather system going through. I have a green garbage bag at hand and once done breakfast - at the dining room table because there is no space at the kitchen table - am cutting a swath through here and pitching everything! I HAVE HAD IT with her lack of participation. Rebel walked in here yesterday and read her the riot act on her inability to do her share of at least not dumping where she walks. And the SU is no prize either. If it's not her mess - it's his. It's all gonna be pitched! I have no mercy! grrrrrrr

Went with a friend to see The Dark Knight last night. One of my favourite movies is A Knight's Tale - also starring Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight has similar themes. Such a talent was Heath Ledger. May he rest in peace- the poor guy. Fabulous movie. Long movie! What a story.

The friend I was with is also battling marital woes. I told her counselling is important. Both marital and individual. She's not sure it will matter at the point. My take is - you never know - you've been with this man over 25 years - they were together 7 years before marrying - they have four children from age of 15 to 8 - they owe it to their kids to work at it a bit. I explained the difference between "marriage" counsellors and "divorce" marriage counsellors. You really must work with a true marriage counsellor. And in the end you will either make it or break it. But you can tell your kids that you tried everything. The whole I just want to be "happy" bothers me. I challenged her and ask if she could be "happy" in her marriage and really - was she going to be guaranteed "happiness" if she divorced? It's not something any of her friends had asked her. (somewhere on the blog is the huge rant I did on "happiness.")

But here's the thing - People assume you have to leave. We had a lengthy discussion over margarita and corona cocktails- which I highly recommend. I expect this is another marriage that is done - but her spouse is at least willing to try counselling as she is as well. But I always say - do the work first. Children are owed this. And a good counsellor who forces you to really work at it - will tell you how you will fare.

In the meantime, I've sent my paperwork for the actuarial assessment of my pension, and having the analysis review with my financial divorce expert, and girding myself up for the battle.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice that you are having a long weekend. We don't have that holiday here.

Poor little puppy. and yes, how very ironic that she would find a little guy with a heart murmur. You have both fallen in love with him. That is so cute as is he.

I like that green garbage bag system for cleaning up the crap that people leave lying about. {take note, Rudy. *giggle*}

I have yet to see The Dark Knight. Soon I hope.

On DB we used to say that at the very least you had to earn your way out of a marriage. Meaning that you leave no stone unturned. I hope that they give it their all, especially with children involved.

Good that you are getting your paperwork done and girding yourself for the battle.

love and hugs and prayers,
~ blondie

Rudy said...

Good for you having the talk with your friend and for being enough of a friend to do more than pat her on the back and say "you go girl".

I guess, although I didn't recognize it at the time, the beginning of the end was when cindy became a supporter of her friends and agreed that leaving to be happy was totally acceptable.

No pet is ever free. Poor little fellow needs some loving to heal the abuse he had. A gal who used to work in my office was very generous when it came to taking in dogs like that. She did a good job rehabbing the little fellows. One dog was even blind.

I like that green garbage bag system for cleaning up the crap that people leave lying about. {take note, Rudy. *giggle*}

been there, done that. My mom did that when I was a teenager. She didn't go so far as to throw it out but I had to do extra chores to get my "treasures" back.

Rudy said...

oh yeah, Batman Raaaaaaawks

The Dark Knight is awesome and Keith's portrayal of the Joker is outstanding!

Lots of moral issues and struggles with what is right. Good depth.

Lily on the Road said...

Nice pic Rudy!! You blogging now??

Glad little Buttons will have a wonderful home to retire in during his golden years. Little guys like hime (and Us, need a loving, caring home with health benefits), seriously!!

Hope you are enjoying this euhmmm Long Weekend...gah, after my run, I'm going to the office...

See ya!

Anonymous said...

Lily is going to the office on a long weekend! gah! Retirement with health benefits - will share that with Rebel. LOL

I must remember to share the "work your way out of a marriage" line with my friend.

Love the portrait Rudy. And the link to Blondie... awwwww cute!

M

Anonymous said...

"M said...."And the link to Blondie... awwwww cute!"

yeah. we are so cute people are gonna start throwing up a little in their mouths. heh!
He is actually a team member on my blog now which gives him posting abilities. That video on my blog is ALL him. *giggle*
Notice that it says *whispered by Rudy* under the actual post.

~ b

Annie said...

Hi stranger!

You might send your friend to RRR; sounds like her sitch is perfect for solution-based stuff!

Ah...adopted dogs....