Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Congratulations.... You are an official statistic!


As I meanderingly make my way to the separate state I am learning that:
  1. It's bloody expensive
  2. I'm clearly not the only one. MacLean's Magazine had an article I read at the dentist's office yesterday morning called The 27 Year Itch from January 29th, 2007.

Back to point 1:
To get all the financials together you need to have someone crunch numbers on the pension plan, investments and assets. That means having an actuary do the work. Actuaries cost around $500 per consultation. This is NOT included in the lawyer's fees which run about $1500 - $2000. BUT a good actuary will do the "his & her" special for about $75 less per plan. *She rolls her eyes! * I am SO in the wrong business. It's too bad I find lawyers tiresome on a good day and can't do math without a calculator. Figuring out taxes and tips at restaurants is something I do with a cheat sheet for pete's sake!

Money that was supposed to have been used to finish the house stuff. I guess for him, getting out of the The spousal unit has apparently done all the above. WHatEvEr. AND paid for it too. HMMMmarriage is more important than ensuring that the house looks decent.
Again I say.... WHatEvEr!

Point 2:
It would seem for men.... getting out a marriage is all about " it's not working for me." For women it's I can't stand having him around me any more. And they're splitting up in droves, after 25, 30 and even 47 years of marriage. Interestingly though, as several studies have shown through the years... second marriages don't usually fare any better. ( shoot me first .... puh-leeese before even entertaining that thought!) In fact subsequent marriages are usually doomed to failure. It would seem we are entering the realm of the serial marriage.


and what else....

I haven't done my taxes yet... I have 33 days to go... no rush. The tax return will NOT be used to pay for the all season radials. Nor will it be used to pay for legal counsel. Nor will it be used to pay for the very expensive teeth. (see previous post!) No... no... no... the tax return will be used to pay to party.... May 17th is coming up quickly!

I am heading to Baltimore on business til Sunday. Tweeney has laid claim to my bedroom with the queen bed , and oh so comfortable duvet for a sleepover with a friend! The duvet went back on the bed after the spouse left the bedroom. He hated it. I love it. I am sleeping so much better these days. But... I digress.

I have to also leave a note for Rebel to tell her I don't want her sleeping in my room when I am away. The GALL of these children of mine! They don't even change the sheets either!

I might get a chance to post, and I may not. I've been asked to blog for my professional blog, so if there is time to spare I'll bring you news from down south!

Would a 23+ year marriage be considered a *starter* marriage?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, sadly there is a gentleman in my "group" who is 70 years old, and his wife of close to 50 years, looked at him one day and said, "I don't want to be married anymore"

Poor guy has taken quite sometime to come to grips with being alone after all this time.

While it might happen (and yeah, I could win the lottery, too), I am going to stay far away from getting married again. If I get the urge, a friend of mine has instructions to remind me to find a woman I just can't stand and buy her a house.

T.I.M.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Have heard THAT joke before... But yeah...

You even go to a "group!" How utterly manly of you!

I told my spouse that he had the wrong kind of "counsel" He looked quizzicaly... I told him he needed head counselling... not legal kind!
Two things he will never get... counselling or a vasectemy!
he left the room!

Calories and Coffee said...

You'll be so much happier, trust me.