Monday, March 19, 2007

Weekend ponderings.


A quiet weekend for me. ( except. more tooth problems... that's an entirely other post!) Spouse went out to a St. Paddy's party with "the kids" where he was in charge of barbecuing ribs. He took his bottle of scotch with him. It came home two thirds empty. Tweeny had a couple of girls sleeping over so I stayed home instead of going out scrap booking and finally found some time to chat on IM! I noticed that one particular individual hasn't pinged me in some time. He must be waiting for me to ping him first! He knows who he is if he is reading this...Hint - lives in Massachusetts and has always been right... I hate when they're right... but he's right!

And as usual, Spouse didn't walk in the door until nearly 7 AM. Now I don't know if it's just me, or what... but the adults I know don't stay out all night. The adults I know seem to understand their limits and behave like the adults and *parents* that they are supposed to be.

Rebel was at home for a change and snorted about her dad thinking he was *so cool* because he stayed out all night.
"There's just something not right about it mom," she said. "Like what does he think? Does he think he's one of them? I mean doesn't he know he is a dad and nearly old?"
What can I tell her? I tried to think like a counsellor again, and suggested that she ask her dad these questions herself. I asked her if she found his behaviour embarrassing just strange or something else? Why did it bug her? She said that yep... embarrassing it is to know your dad thinks he is a party animal when he is the one that you're supposed to be looking to to set an example. She didn't articulate quite that way, but it's what she meant.
So I told her that she needed to have the conversation with her father, because if I said anything, he wouldn't believe me, and he would think I was projecting my own values and judgements on him. He needed to know what she thought of him and his behaviour.
The question is I wonder : does he care what this oldest child of thinks about his actions?

The Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtle movie starts THIS Friday - the 23rd. Rebel is counting down. We're going. Tweeny is rolling her eyes. Donatello, Raphael, Michelangelo and Leonardo...

cowabunga dudes!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAH! Men! whatEVER!

I think you are right to suggest that she speak to her dad about it all. That is what I have always told my kids. You have a problem with him you have to talk to HIM about it. She sees what is going on. She may be a Rebel, but she isn't stupid.

I know the Massachusetts dude you speak of. I will let him know you left a cryptic message here for him. I do know he is up to his eyeballs in tax season as well as a class. He doens't even check my blog unless I point him there. LOL! But geez girl, NEVER tell a guy he is right. giggle

Cowabunga, Dudes!

~ blondie

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm gonna circle this day on the calendar! One of us male types was right?

Time for a parade!

ok, gotta go now

T.I.(IDon'tHaveToDuck)M.

Anonymous said...

rolling eyes @ T.I.M.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!
It does have to be said... I must eat a little crow over some things Massacusetts Dude said to me waaaaay back when.

Marian the Librarian loves a parade! how does the song go.... Burt Lancaster and who else was in it???

And you're right Blondie.. she is not stupid at all that Rebel of mine... like me, she doesn't get it! sigh... whatEvEr..
Cheers
M

Calories and Coffee said...

Hey, let me know if the movie is any good. My wild things want to go see it. I got them hooked on the original TMNT movies lol.

Anonymous said...

May I quote something you said. "lives in Massachusetts and has always been right... I hate when they're right... but he's right!"

Thank you. And what kind of wine do you like with your crow...I am thinking Pinot Noir. But any woman who can say those things to a man, it certainly a top-notch woman in my book.

As for your daughter's embarrassment, that is a tough one. As one who had been accused of being a party animal, I start to feel a little funny on the third drink around my sons. There is no doubt you are right when you say you can't have the talk. And your daughter can either let it go or if she must, have the talk. Sadly, your daughter probably will not get the reaction she would hope for. But at least she will know where things stand.

As for pinging, the Blonde was correct. And depending on the time, you could have run into the young son, who would not give it a thought. But, as I am sure you know, I find you almost totally irresistible (I guess I have to say almost or you would have no cause to wonder why I haven't pinged), so the no ping cannot go on forever. But I never minded a woman pinging me!!!

Good luck with your daughter. I will ping you soon.

xoxoxoxoxox
The Dude

Anonymous said...

LOL hey Dude!
Thanks for coming out of the woodwork. Don't let your being right go to your head.... okay? (she rolls her eyes...) You warned me and I didn't listen. I've learned a lesson! Won't make THAT mistake again.... ever... too many others one I Can make, right?
thanks for dropping in!
M

Anonymous said...

M,

My pleasure. And I always try to keep my feet on the ground. Be good. Will ping you soon.