Saturday, June 02, 2007

Tweeny Trials!


I had a lovely day yesterday. UNTIL! I was scrap booking with friends all evening. The Tweeny grilled me several times about where I was going, what time was I leaving, when would I be back. HMMM something is up, I thought!

Spouse received an invitation for a party - addressed to *Mr and Mrs. Spousal Unit*. AS IF I would attend with him, but nevertheless I thought he would be going.

I asked him because it would affect how long I would be out to ensure that Tweeny was home on time. He claimed he never saw the invitation. I told him it had been sitting on the counter where the mail sits for the past week. My best guess is he must have thought it was one of *my* friends and didn't bother giving it his attention. I asked him if he was going to go and he said no it was too late. He went up to his little room, shut and locked himself in! (WTF??)

I yelled through the door (can you see the eye rolling?) that I was headed out and he should talk to Tweeny about her home time deadline.


Fast forward to midnight.
I return home and guess what???

No Tweeny.
Midnight.
The 14 yr old kid is not home.

I tried very hard to be calm and to ask him if he'd called anyone of her friends. NO, he doesn't know where to find the phone numbers, he doesn't know the code to the voice mail, and on and on.

Well.... I lost it - I have to admit. So, I suggested to him that both of us were being played like fools. That didn't he understand what she was doing. She knows exactly what is going on with *us*
His response...."What did you tell her? We should tell her together!"
I rolled my eyes and blasted him,
"Do you think these kids of ours are idiots? You sleep in the spare room, you don't talk to me. You don't talk to either of them for that matter, do you not THINK they know what the hell is going on here? OF COURSE they know! And they talk. Rebel is just waiting; she and Tweeny have talked about it, because one close friend of mine has already told me that her daughter and Rebel have discussed outcomes. SO WAKE UP and smell the GD coffee!!!"


His response was to leave and start driving around the neighbourhood looking for the kid as I made phone calls. Did I mention it was pouring rain for the past 3 hours too?

I finally reach the mom of kid she was out with. He's not home either.
Fast forward to 2 AM! yes..... 2 AM... spouse is upstairs. Phone rings... turns out Tweeny fell asleep at friend's place and mom didn't realize she didn't go out when the others disappeared at 10:30 PM. They left her sleeping on the couch. I sent spouse to go get her.

Clearly, if she is falling asleep at friends while watching tv - a 10 PM curfew is too late. I decide NOT to get into it with her. I am stupid with fatigue and need sleep, but of course the pounding heart takes at least another hour to calm down.

So... by 3 AM I finally feel like sleeping. I am up by 9 AM... a tad bagged out. Spouse made his appearance at 1:30 PM. Tweeny has yet to hear anything from her dad about the entire mess.

Once again, for some reason, I appear to be "at fault" as Tweeny uses the standard adolescent defense of *it's not my fault I fell asleep!"

I am heading out west to visit the parental unit who needs a lot of help packing up 50 years of living. My sibling can't be expected to take it all on.

A bit of a break for me. Blog readers out there are promising to fill me full of alcoholic beverages. A much needed break. Though my dad is wringing his hands over my impending separation.

WhatEvEr...

Girls.. A couple of bottles of the *white* pinot grigio from Italy will do. And nephew is back working at the best bakery in town.... I will inform him of my need for Russian torts right outta the oven!

Physical labour at the home of my childhood, gorging on confections swilled down with any kind of plonk from a bottle will be the motto for the next 5 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAH!

So who's minding the Tweeny whom I think should have a serious name change among other things?

I am sorry that he is being so irresponsible. Sadly, You know he will so it is going to be up to you to lock down her behaviour. NO, it's not fair but it is what it is.

I hope you have some good times with your dad. Packing up a parent's house can be very heart wrenching. Not something I ever want to do again.

Be good to yourself sweetie.

love and hugs,
~ blondie

Annie said...

I was lucky and didn't have to do much with my dad's home when he moved. It was gut-wrenching for me. Your plant for food and drink sounds like the appropriate treatment!

As for Tweeney.....she sure is playing both of you. Too bad the spousal unit is too blind to see it.

{{M}}

annie