Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Regular Chatty Cathy.


Rebel has been having pizza cravings for the past few days. I believe in the past few days she's probably eaten two whole pizzas. Perhaps I am exaggerating... just a little.

Another walk outside yesterday was good. Getting out there into the fresh air can only be a good thing.

She saw her first cardiologist in the hall - the one who directs the transplant programme and the heart failure clinics. She had a good chat with him. He will be taking her back as a patient post transplant. She rather likes him a lot. The two of them talked a little about post transplant expectations and what life would be like. Rebel trusts him implicitly and really likes him a lot. He is originally from Syria and has a somewhat gruff way about him but he is a straight talker. I think he rather enjoys his chats with Rebel because she treats him like a regular guy!

I notice whenever Rebel gets a unit of blood for low hemoglobin she turns into a regular chatty Cathy and her mood is pretty perky. Clearly hemoglobin levels that are where they should be seem to make a difference for fatigue levels and more. Two sets of laps around the ward today also kept things interesting as Rebel chats with other patients, gives the nurse a hard time and generally keeps track of things going on around her.

We are both into Brain Age on her Nintendo DS. I've gone from a brain age of 70 something to 28 doing all the math calculations, time lapse tests and more. On the other hand, I STILL can't get passed Level 7 on the diner dash game. Rebel is threatening to give the game back to her best friend. I will have to buy my own DS ( a red one) and my own Diner Dash game too and continue torturing myself at home rather than ignoring my daughter at the hospital. Reb keeps asking her dad to play Brain Age, and he refuses... What is he afraid of. It's just a silly game. But he won't even try. I think he's afraid of looking stupid or something. Never bothered me!

RebelTweey and i can have some kind of DS conversations with the DS which Rebel and I can't do. The DS has warning notices all over it that say it shouldn't be used where there is sensitive medical equipment. seriously.

It doesn't look like I can go to my professional conference this year... I am on the national board and this is now two years in a row I won't be able to attend. I asked the executive director if I can get hooked in virtually for our big meeting where I need to give a fairly serious presentation. It looks like it should be easy enough to do. We have a web cam, but no microphone on this computer of course,but I don't expect that should be a big deal to figure this out.

This should be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did our Chatty Cathy do over the weekend? Well I hope.

It is good to hear that she is being allowed some fresh air. And Pizza. :)

I think it is great that she has this level of trust in her cardiologist. It will help her tremendously in her healing.

Brain Age. Still 24. I once had a 22 but that must have been a fluke. giggle.

I can't imagine that it should be difficult to hook up an external mic for your big presentation. Hopefully you will get that figured out soon.

Love, hugs and always prayers,
~ Blondie

Rudy said...

Sorry you can't go to your conference again this year. I hope your drought doesn't last as long as mine (5.5 years and counting) The video hookup should be a piece of cake since I am sure that there is a way to get a mic into your 'puter.

Yes, when the DS goes into game sharing or chatting it becomes a little transmitter. You have to use the same precautions you do with cell phones around hospitals and sensitive med equipment.

I think I went backwards in brain age. WTFo?!?

Yay! springtime. Rebel can get out for some fresh air. And two sets of laps? goody for her.

Good rapport with the doc will be very helpful.

PIZ-za! woooo hoooo.