Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cautiously Positive


Rebel seems to be getting some strength back. She has had physiotherapy every day since Friday. The week day therapist is impressed with how well she is managing to do given how long she has been virtually immobile. She does leg and arm raises, neck movements to get her to use her neck muscles and a lot of breathing exercises to get her using her diaphragm. This will help her a lot if the breathing tube is to be removed some time this week. She was exhausted after about 15 minutes of this work.

The sign language isn't getting any better. But her hand writing is getting stronger and easier to read so that helps. In spite of the eye rolling and frustrations.

So as her strength slowly comes back, we're still waiting for her kidney function to kick in and for the blood to clot on its own. The medical team seemed to be cautiously positive on her progress.

Her doctor from the Heart Failure Clinic, and transplant director, came around to see her she told me. He told her she was one strong girl and that she more than likely would have needed the ventricular assist device - but he would have preferred a planned surgery rather than the dramatic fashion she had to get it implanted. She told me she was happy to have him visit her.

I am kind of tired. No surprise. I have a prescription for Lorazapan and haven't taken it yet. Friends at church, doctors, told me to listen to my doc and take it. For two reasons... it will take the edge off and it will also help break negative cycles that disrupt sleep patterns. A good friend said - take the drugs - it will stop your brain from all the "what if's" at night. I think she made more sense than the docs.

I wonder occasionally how the SU is coping. Given all I have going for me - drugs, a massage therapy appointment, friends coming to see me at the hospital, emailing me etc etc, and he doesn't appear to have that much going on. He certainly doesn't tell me or even look to open up. I have enough going on in my head and keeping it together for the RebelTweeny that I figure it's not my job to probe. I am here if he wants to talk, but then again, that would be raising my expectations higher than they have been in months.

So I will continue as I have and focus where I need to instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear that she is doing well with her physio. As the transplant Doc said: She is one strong girl. She has a fight in her. This is serving her well I believe.

The inability to communicate in her normal manner must indeed be driving her nuts. Hopefully it won't be much longer and they can remove the vent and she can talk. Is she flipping the bird when she gets really frustrated? Has she seen the Friends episode where we find out that Ross made up a secret way to flip the bird by bending both arms at the elbow and knocking clenched fists together twice in quick succession? It's hilarious. That is used on occasion in my house. heh!

I am keeping her kidney function and blood clotting foremost in my prayers for her.

Girlfriend. Kinda tired? You have got to be exhausted. Please. Please take the meds. If they don't work then you can come back and tell us it was a waste of your time but I don't think that will be the case. Give them a try not just for yourself but for your Rebels as well.

Please try to stop worrying about SU. If he needs or wants your support its not like he doesn't know where you live. Save your strength for yourself and your girls.

love, hugs and always prayers,

~ blondie

Rudy said...

Hi M,
I agree with blondie and your friend. I am speaking from personal experience. Give the meds a try. I am not sure how they were prescribed, if it was an as needed thing or for a short duration and re-evaluate at the end. The rest they will give you will make you a better person for yourself and your girls. In a stressful situation where you have to be the provider for them you need to take advantage of the limited time you have to care for yourself so if this will help you do that, even for a short period of time, I think it is definitely worth a try.

As for SU, he is supposed to be an adult. He can reach out to family, see a counselor or even ask you if he wants. You do not need to waste time and energy chasing after him. There are much more important things at the moment.

{hugs} and prayers.

Calories and Coffee said...

Hey, I've been on Lorazapan for years now. It really does help. But it's also addictive so be careful.