Thursday, January 03, 2008

So again, small steps. All positive.


Rebel is holding her own. The docs removed the smaller ventricular device called an Impella and her heart on the right side is managing. She was very responsive today in her stoned state and seemed to hear what I was saying as I blabbed away about nothing. The nurse she had today hadn't seen her since Christmas and said she was very encouraged by her progress. She said you can't see a lot of progress day to day, but from last week, there she could see the difference.

The docs plan to remove an IV that is in her neck vein. This is good. They are planning to try and put a feeding tube into her stomach to stimulate it and see if she is able to digest food. The tube is down her throat into the esophagus to the stomach. They will attempt this procedure on Friday. So again, small steps. All positive.

The nurses do warn us though. It's a roller coaster where Rebel could have a couple of good days and then something will set her back a little. They know what they are talking about. It's the good days that we continue to be thankful for and pray get us through the rougher ones.

A couple of my friends from work brought me lunch and kept me company while I was at the hospital today. It was good to get the latest dirt on stuff going on and yet know that I was removed from it for a time. I have a freezer and two fridges full of food. People want to help and not having to worry about cooking meals as been wonderful.

4 comments:

Rudy said...

M, I am so glad you are getting lots of local support.

It is wonderful news that the removal of the assistance device is being handled well. I hope the feeding tube goes well also.

Let the high times carry the low and know that we are praying for you through it all.

{hugs}

Calories and Coffee said...

It's great that you have so much support and we will keep praying for the good days to get more and more frequent.

I keep meaning to ask you, how's the Tweeny handling all this?

Anonymous said...

Tweeny is so into her 14 yr old self that she doesn't say much. I also believe thoughs he is more afraid and doesn't want to go down the road of worrying about her big sister.
I am going to ask the SU to talk to her guidance counsellor at school so they are aware of the situation. Whether he will do so... is a whole other story. I will tell him that if he doesn't talk to them, I will. They need to know what's going on in case her school work starts to suffer or it starts to come out sideways some how. She is like her dad... internalizes and doesn't talk - unlike her mother who gets it out there and looks for support.
m

Annie said...

M....glad to hear about the positive gains. I've been thinking about you and Rebel dailing (and praying, of course).