Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gigs.

Rebel delivered her first "lecture" today. Well, okay, not *really* a lecture, but a special session with kids in Grade 6 at one of the local elementary schools.

This is the class that was involved in a special project to raise funds for an organization by doing something entrepreneurial. They held a special Family Fun Fair and raised over $4500 for the Heart Institute! Grade 6! 11 years old!

They had read about Rebel in one of the local papers and decided that the Heart Institute was where they wanted to donate money.

So off we went today to talk to the kids. Rebel seemed to enjoy herself. She is preparing a more formal presentation for older kids on organ donation, heart health and more motivational type content, but this was more of a gentle dress rehearsal type approach today.

She may also have *gigs* lined up at a couple of other schools - her former elementary school, at a high school, where the Charge Nurse from the cardiac ward where Rebel was - is involved with the Parent Council, and at another high school in town where the wife of one of priests we know from church teaches school. It could be the start of an interesting sideline career for Rebel as well as getting some positive messages out to young people. I am hoping by acting as her business manager I could end up with a new career myself.

The kids were thrilled to meet her. Their teacher said the kids were awestruck - she was their Hannah Montana! Rock star status. One little girl even gave her a pair of earrings from her bead kit.

They asked a ton of questions, had conversations both on and off topic. Rebel even showed them some of her scars. It was a pretty much anything they wanted to know - she told them kind of session.

The kids are really excited as well to be going on a tour of the Heart Institute next week. And they have asked Rebel to come back to school next week when they "graduate" and move on to a new school for Grade 7.

This was a good start for her. She can see beyond the playing house and looking after someone else's children I hope. They asked her about school and she talks like it's going to happen, so I keep hoping that as she talks she *believes* what she says.

As someone said to me at church on Sunday, "Marie, you've prayed for the miracle of your daughter's health. She has her health. Now pray for her to live the life she *should be* living." It's all I can do.

I have another counseling session some time this week. Must go find the date and time. I think it's going to be a tough one for me, but a necessary session. Get a few things worked out and dealt with and start moving on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, I'm sooo excited with this news! Hey, you didn't tell me she was going to do this yesterday!!

Talking "it" is the first step to believing "it". Wow, I'm so excited and I'm excited you were there with her! You're right, life away from playing house is a very positive step.

I feel much better now that I've read this, I was a little worried after our visit yesterday....

**As someone said to me at church on Sunday, "Marie, you've prayed for the miracle of your daughter's health. She has her health.

Now pray for her to live the life she *should be* living." It's all I can do.**

Let's all pray for that, I'll certainly start right now!

How exciting!

Lily

Rudy said...

I think giving these talks will be a great way to reflect on and integrate all that she has been through these past 8 months.

It is one thing to sit and ponder it as you are going through it and something entirely different to tell your story after the fact.