Friday, August 24, 2007

Tire{d} Separation Status.


I had a phone call yesterday from what I had thought were the not so friendly guys at my tire store. The store where I bought two sets of expensive tires for my car... snow and regular!

When I bought the snow tires they went on the Spousal Unit's account. I paid the SU when the bill came... no big deal. When it came to buy the regular tires this past spring I had already decided to pay cash and not deal with the SU - not quite kosher given our so-called "separation status."

When I went in pay for the tires and have them installed, one of their so called experts had "sold" my tires to someone else in error, so I had no tires that day. BUT I was walking around with about $500 in my purse (I NEVER do this... long story) so I said to the guy that I didn't want him to sell the next set of tires. Could I put a deposit down on them for $300? They agreed. I kept asking to make sure the tires were in MY name and that I now had my own account.

About three weeks later I went to get the tires changed. All done and went to pay. Guess what? My deposit had ended up on the SU's account rather than on my tires. The guy - Troy - said to me, that the SU had told them that "under no circumstance" was I "allowed" to do anything with his account, so gee sorry, he couldn't get my $300 out of the account and on to my tires. I tried calling the SU at home, but since it was only 11 AM on a Saturday, he was still asleep. The girls rarely answer the home phone, either. So after about three tries I gave up. I smiled sweetly at Troy and said... "FINE! I'll pay with my debit card and I'll keep you free of my marital drama with the SU." Troy didn't like the sound of the "FINE" but was smart enough to grovel and apologize for the screw up saying "his hands were tied." I tell ya... I wanted to "tie up" more than his hands. But.. I kept my cool.

I decided not to get my knickers in a twist over this. When the statement from the tire store arrived for the SU with a $300 credit I told the SU what had happened and what I needed to get my money back. I didn't hold my breath, and then with Rebel's sickness... it got put on a back burner.

Fast forward to yesterday. I had a call from Troy at the tire store. SU tried going to talk to him about the error and asked for his money back. At the store they didn't have cash to give him so they sent him to the head office for the chain. Troy told me that the SU was rude and aggressive with the comptroller - a woman. Troy called me to ask me what I thought should happen because he remembered the situation when I came in -
"and you were really cool about it' and your husband, or whatever he is, pissed off the comptroller"

So the SU didn't get the money. They clearly do NOT need to be in the middle of a marital financial squabble. My new best friend told me, they don't want to talk to the SU any more because of his rude behaviour. I told Troy that I would write a note explaining what had happened, and since the money was in the SU's account he would also sign the letter but the cheque needed to be made out to me as I was the one who put it into the account and they all knew that. It was their error and they had to fix it, which they agreed to. Troy and I bonded. I expect very good service when it's time to get my snow tires put on in October. SU on the other hand, is having his account closed because of his lack of manners.

Upon arriving at home last evening, I expected SU to ask me for help. He looked like hell. Unshaven, walking around in old sweats, and didn't have have a word for me. Not a single word. While I KNOW I am cutting off my nose to spite my face on this one, but I am going to see how long it takes SU to ask me to help. I don't expect he will, he's got a streak of pride in him a mile wide and four deep. I'll draft up a note to the store that I will ask him to sign, and take it in to see Troy.

SU has never understood how to make friends. And one never knows when one will need friends.

Even at the tire store.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice title! I kinda like it!

Anonymous said...

So, ya think that SU is trying to make sure hes in charge of things? I mean seriously, WTF did he REALLY think you could or would do to his TIRE account??? GAH! What a chickenshit!

Keep on keeping on, sweetie. I know you are worn out but you should really get back with your L and see what needs attention.

*hugs*

~ blondie

Anonymous said...

I know!!! it's not AS IF this was a platinum AMEX card... THAT would have been sweet!

my L?
lover? ( no time no interest) lady friend? ( I see Rudy with the camera)
little one? not so little any more)

did you man therapist t?

lol

M

Anonymous said...

LMAO!

I mean your she-barracuda lawyer.

yeah, Rudy with his camera. Thats a given, dontcha think?

~ b

Anonymous said...

LMAO!! double time... yeah... she barracuda on hold... no worries there...

Rudy with OUT the camera would be a stunner wouldn't it?
m

Rudy said...

Are you ladies still camera shy?

Besides I have the super secret spy cam that is conveniently hidden so there is no camera to see me carrying.

so what was this about lady friends??????

Anonymous said...

lady friends? involves knowing the secret handshake...
wink wink

m

Anonymous said...

hey! you changed the title... lol
how come?

Anonymous said...

Hey M, I left you a little something on my blog ;)