Saturday, August 04, 2007

The road of life this weekend.


It's a long weekend. No work on Monday - which is lovely during the heat in the middle of the summer. Rebel has gone out with friends a couple of times this week. She always ends up dropped off at home as the girls make their way to party at some bar or other. She misses it. But she gets it.

I was chatting with the sister in law who informed me that the SU was leaving the east at midnight so he is well on his way home with the Rebel Tweeny and niece. Interestingly, something I didn't know.. and I wonder if even SU realized it, his mother and the Rebel have the same heart condition They are on the same meds... something that grandma finds intriguing. I don't think I am going to tell Rebel this part. Grandma is getting on - in her mid eighties and also doesn't follow the rules laid out for looking after herself. She's been ill with this for several years. How is it I didn't know? Well... I do know... but why go there.

SIL says that as far as she can tell, SU has not told his parents anything about our relationship. NOTHING! He did tell his brother, but he wouldn't discuss it with his sister at all. And she tried to give him openings. She says he was quite aloof most of the time, or cracked bad jokes and kept things very much on the surface. No conversations to really talk, to really look for support., to really know his sister and her life. Nothing. SIL says he has a long way to go to hit rock bottom if this is his approach to managing his life. I shake my head, but I am not surprised. Confiding and getting to really know his family in an adult way, has never been something of interest to the SU. How sad isn't it? HOWEVER, it's NOT my problem. How he will cope and get along isn't my concern or my problem.

I am gearing up to having the niece in the house. SIL did tell the brother in law that I was tired, that I was NOT up for having another teen aged drama queen in the house. She had a conversation with both the niece and her father on how to behave while visiting. I am leaving the management of this up to the SU but then again it won't be on my watch that this young one gets herself up to anything.

Both girls want to go up to the camp for the festivities this weekend. Shall see if we actually make it there or not. I can go there AND take in the music jam as well. Friend who hosts the jam has let me know I can stay the night if I wish. I might take her up on it. She's less than an hour away from home but half of it is on rural roads in the dark... no street lights. I am so directionally challenged that even though I have done the trip dozens of times, I can count on ending up in Montreal rather than at home! I have never had sense of which road to take.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take it easy on your long weekend, girlfriend. Let the SU deal with the RebelTweeny and the Cousin. They should be all his problem considering he couldn't even be bothered to discuss this with either you or Rebel.

Good that Miss Rebel is getting out with her girlfriends. It has to be so hard to watch them go on without her but it sounds like she is dealing with it well. She needs a party, momma.

Nope. SU and his family relationships are sure not your problem. It is obviously not something he is interested in. Not something anyone can force. Truly his loss.

Festivities at the camp sounds like a great idea. Stay with the friend and just chill.

Love and Hugs,
~ blondie