Sunday, December 30, 2007

It Takes Time.


SU and I spent a short time with Rebel today. Rebel's BF is supposed to be fixing the brakes on my car today so I asked the SU to take me to see our daughter. He did. Without a sound.
Her kidney function isn't good yet and this is a concern. The nurses are saying it could take time but it should come back to normal at some point.

They are lightening up her sedation and seeing how she responds. She opened her eyes a couple of times while we were there. They would open very wide and then close almost immediately so it's difficult to know how much she focused and whether she even processed that we were there. The nurses say she will hear us if we talk but she won't remember anything when she is finally fully awake.

She also told us that some families take pictures of their patient to show them afterwards. I don't know about this idea. I know that as much as Rebel does like to know everything being done for her and to her, seeing pictures of herself all kind of puffy with fluid, surrounded by machines and lines and breathing tubes doesn't seem like a really good idea. I couldn't be there taking photos.

The night nurses washed her hair and gave her bath. Rebel loves her long locks and I am sure when she awakens she will appreciate this.

The nurses truly are angels. They do amazing work and are so caring. They are truly are the back bone of the medical system. The docs and the machines do much oh yes, but without the nurses.. well... who knows how we'd cope.

5 comments:

Calories and Coffee said...

If I could I would drive up and take some really great photos for you.

Anonymous said...

M,

It is encouraging to hear the little gains she makes daily. Prayers are still being poured into heaven on our Rebel's behalf both for her healing and for the health care providers that tend to her so professionally and compassionately.

Thank you so much for finding the emotional energy to get updates out for those who can do nothing more than hold her, you and your family close from afar.

i love ya, girlfriend.
~ blondie

Anonymous said...

Hi M,

Great talking with you on Saturday, please take care of yourself and look after that cold.

So sorry to live with such a distance between us, otherwise, you know I'd drive you anywhere.

I'm now able to access you and Blondie via the net....don't ask....tbd....

Give Rebel and RT a big hug for me. Glad to hear SU is holding his own....

Please know there are a tons of prayers being sent your way from the Ottawa Valley....we all want Rebel to recover quickly and look back on 2007 with many a great story for her strong will and determination, pink blankets and all.

Please stay in touch when you can...

Wishing you, Rebel, RT and SU much love, health and laughter for 2008.

Love,
Lily

Anonymous said...

awesome Lily! (-:
Now get yourself a hotmail account and sign up for instant messaging and we can yak online...

More notes to come later today.
m

Rudy said...

Hey M,
I am excited by the good news.

I watched a program on tv last night that reminded me that great canyons are carved one drop of water at a time.

I give thanks for each and every bit of news no matter how small it may seem at the time.

Since R does like to know all these things, maybe give a camera to a nurse to take a couple of snaps. Then you have them if she wants to see them. You can't go back and retake them and if she never does look at them - no harm done.

I am glad SU put aside his differences and took you to see R when you were without transportation.

My aunt is a retired nurse and my great aunt was a nun who spent some time nursing and teaching so I totally agree with you on the backbone statement. The generals get all the press but it is the front line troops that get it done.

love, hugs and prayers for all.