Sunday, December 23, 2007

Slowly ,Slowly. Step by Step.

That's how this is all working. This morning the team lead doctor told me they woke Rebel out of her medical coma to test her neurological functions. He said it was quite emotional for everyone on the team. She did everything they needed her to do - wiggle her toes, tightened her grip, and being Rebel - she tried to talk. They wouldn't let her do this and if you know Rebel, I am sure you know she was pissed as all get out about that. They were very pleased with her response. They told her where she was and what they were doing to help her and that they had to put her back to sleep. This was reassuring.

She had a couple of procedures. They added a shunt in her leg vein to help drain fluid. Her veins are so small they had to get what they needed from the CHEO - the children's hospital. They have also added a machine to help with kidney function and dialysis.

So so far all is okay. Overnight they are going to watch her liver functions. It's the liver that helps with blood clotting and that is important for Monday's procedure... the addition of a ventricular device to help her heart pump. http://www.thoratec.com . There is concern with infection, blood clotting and loss of blood, so they anticipate all these things during the procedure.

The assistant pastor from my church visited Rebel and offered the sacrament of the healing (also known as sacrament for the sick) She has been mentioned on three blogs that I follow and know of.

I am overwhelmed with all the phone calls, prayers and good thoughts being sent Rebel's way. It's so much appreciated and it's the best thing and most important thing that we can do for her now.

2 comments:

Calories and Coffee said...

I'm so glad the news continues to be positive. I've had her name added to whatever church I have contact with (through friends and family).

Annie said...

Ditto what aleks said. I know for myself, whenever I've had a private moment (heck, even just waiting for a traffic light), I'm murmured a quick one.

There are many over at Royce's Relationship Board who have offered prayers and support as well.