Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Small Gains.


My Rebel is stable. The swelling that is keeping the doctors from closing her chest is going down. It is getting better. She is comfortable and quiet. This is a slow incremental process and she is making small gains. Her doctor is hoping to be able to close her chest in the next 12 to 24 hour period.

SU went to see her today after dropping off the RT at the Boxing Day sales at the Mall. The nurse coordinator who was with me yesterday told him today that she can see improvement from yesterday to today. The prayers and positive energy are loud and constant and for that I am ever so grateful and thankful.


I have a bit of a cold and am being careful about going to see her. I expect today I will stay home and eat a ton of echinecea and chicken soup.

We had a quiet Christmas dinner. RT had her best friend over. This is a child whose mother is whacko - an alcoholic we're sure, and a father who is dealing with this by never being at home. He claimed to be working yesterday. Rather than make a Christmas for their daughter they decided to forgo the holiday. No presents under the tree, no dinner. Nothing. I felt for the kid even though she's been known to make me roll my eyes. On my way home from church I stopped at the one drug store chain that was open and managed to find a bunch of treats to wrap up and throw into a larger bag for this girl. RT was so thrilled. It was the first time I heard a thank you out of her in a long time. Friend was equally surprised.

Her parents should be ashamed of themselves and their behaviour.

4 comments:

Rudy said...

Bless your heart M. That was fabulous reaching out to RT's friend like that. It is an absolute shame the way the parents are behaving.

I am very happy to hear of the progress Rebel is making. Small steps perhaps but positive all the same. She is ever in my prayers and I am keeping our prayer chain up to date on her progress.

{hugs}

Calories and Coffee said...

I'm so glad she's stable.

You did a great thing for RT's friend.

Annie said...

Ditto what they said....even more special because in spite of the worry about Rebel, you thought about RT's friend. What an awesome woman you are.

Anonymous said...

Any mother, no, any decent person, would do what I did. It was no big deal. Kids, especially hormonal crazy girls need Christmas.

I'll be heading out to the hospital soon. Another update... later today.
thanks again for keeping the Rebel in your hearts and prayers
m